Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Food and Health: Filipino Leche Flan (Custard) Recipe

Filipino Leche Flan (Custard) Recipe



     For this week we are featuring another recipe--that of the famous Pinoy dessert, Leche Flan. This post is for a blogger-friend (forgive me, friend, for not noting down your blog name, but you know who you are) who blogged about trying to make this dessert but said she failed. Of course, I posted a comment that I would feature the recipe of leche flan in my blog. Well, I also failed the other week when I cooked leche flan for the first time in  two years, that was why I featured another recipe. And so I cooked again this week and was able to take a photo. So, to my dear blogger-friend, here's the recipe:

10 egg yolks                                                    Caramel Syrup:
1 can evaporated milk (or full cream milk)               1 cup brown sugar
    (390 gms.)                                                         2-3 tbsps. water
1 can Milkmaid sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. lime or calamansi zest (finely grated)

Steps:

1) Prepare your llaneras (aluminum pans) or cake baking pans. Divide your brown sugars into your pans. Sprinkle enough water into the sugars. With tongs or with pot holders, hold the pans over medium to low heat tilting the pan so that the melted sugar will distribute evenly and will not burn. Do this until the sugar is completely melted and bubbly. If it's too dark, it will become bitter. Make sure the bottom of the pan is covered evenly with the caramel syrup. Set aside to cool and set.

2) In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients with a whisk. Make sure there are no lumps from the eggs( if so, run the mixture on a sieve). Pour into the pans. 

3) Two ways to cook:
   a) In a steamer,  30-40 minutes or when toothpick inserted into the flan comes out clean.
   b) Baking in an oven-- Pre-heat oven to 370 degrees Centigrade. Place flan pans on larger baking pans half-filled with hot water. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or when toothpick inserted into the flan comes out clean. 

4) Take out from heat. Cool to room temperature. Chill in the fridge for about an hour before serving. To serve, run a knife in the sides of the pan and invert in a plate. Enjoy!

     Since condensed milk is not common abroad, we can use half-and-half (half cream, half full cream milk) but you have to add more sugar to sweeten the flan. 

    The leche flan in the photo is my family's preferred recipe because it is not too rich and creamy. I used 2 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks for this one, with the rest of the ingredients the same.    

5 comments:

nuts said...

oh, this must be me. a mom who tried so hard to please my family for perfect leche flan. i think it's my way of cooking, i've tried different recipe already.. it's actually almost perfect.. :D

I'll bookmark this page and will try this one too. Exactly! I have milkmaid in my storage.. will try this very soon.

Carmen Araneta said...

Wow, thanks for dropping by so quickly. My efforts have not been in vain.

PINAY MOMMY said...

Hello Mommy Carmen! Thanks for all the comments. Paxenxa I was not able to reply. Medyo busy ang mudra na ito. :)

Anyway, I am glad I finally visited your blog. I got the feeling we might be sharing the same faith.

RE: Post, I am planning to try cooking again once my baby is much bigger. Hirap na din maintain lahat eh. Pero need kasi mag work online kasi tatlo na baby. :)

Thanks again Mommy. Hope to see you again soon! Muah!!

Dimple said...

Hi! I am over from With a Grateful Prayer and a Thankful Heart. She had trouble leaving a comment. I'm trying to see if it was a temporary glitch. This flan sounds delicious!

Dhemz said...

oh mama mia.....kakatakam naman...thanks for sharing....:)

thanks also for dropping by on my kitchen!

Post a Comment

send load to philippines
 
The Living Grace. Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul Tested by Blogger Templates.